The Thackaringa project is planning to mine ore from three surface deposits. The host rock (silica and feldspars) contains approximately 20% sulphides (mainly pyrite), with cobalt at 800–1000 ppm. This announcement presents the most recent results for processing of the sulphide concentrate to extract cobalt.
- Over 90 kg of concentrate from Thackaringa has been treated in thefurnace, producing 70 kg of calcine.
- A total of 56 leach tests have been completed on the calcine by ALS Metallurgy Tasmania.
- >95% conversion of the pyrite into pyrrhotite reliably achieved.
- 96% typical leach extraction of cobalt with optimum conditions now established.
- Cobalt Blue – mine to battery strategy – focussed upon cobalt sulphate.
- Cobalt sulphate samples produced – commercial meetings to follow.
- Thackaringa Resource Upgrade expected to be released shortly.